YET ANOTHER RIDE TO GOPALASWAMY BETTA AND BANDIPUR - JULY 2011

With a break of 10 days after I quit the job at Tyco, was evaluating a possibility of a ride for about 3-4 days.  Getting an approval from the government would have been far easier than getting a green signal from home to the ride.

With loads of pleading, finally the ride duration came down to a day.  With no other option the location was again Gopalaswamy Betta and Bandipur.  Though nothing to regret about.

Had to get the wiring set up ready for the LED parking lights.  Done and dusted with that task, next was to put the hella comet 500 on the bike.  Fuelled up the bike to the brim at the Shell petrol pump station.  All set for the ride.

Read on for some interesting things in the ride.

Scheduled time of leaving home was 4 am; however, I was able to leave home only by 4:10 am.  I rode with moderate speeds through the city to cross Kengeri.  The air was quite chilling after crossing Kengeri.  I stuck to speeds of 60-70 for most of the journey towards Gopalaswamy Betta.  Enroute, I ensured I Stopped at quite a few places just to ease in to the weather.  The chillness of the air ensured that I got as lazy as one can get.  So not much photos this time.

One photo Enroute.


The roads are re-laid from Mysore to Nanjangud which was in very poor state during the previous visit.  However, the road is still bumpy though re-laid. 

With my slow cruising ride finally reached Gopalaswamy Betta at 10 am.  This is the first time I have ridden so slow, a good 5 hours and 50 mins.


Now some interesting facts about Gopalaswamy Betta which have changed due to a few unwanted instances that have happened (which I will not mention here on the blog).

  1. The entry timings to the temple has been changed from 6 am - 6 pm to 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. 
  2. Checking at the check post to ensure no traveler is carrying food items and plastic 
  3. Trekking at the hill is strictly prohibited. 
  4. Forest guards now have walkie talkie to get update and provide update.

My personal view is that things have changed for good.  The serene environment here was getting gradually degraded to yet another tourist place.

Spent a good hour and half soaking the atmosphere near the temple, but not before bowing to the deity and offering my prayers.

Not much of photos as I did not venture out of the temple premises and encourage other tourists to follow my activities.


Rode up to Bandipur and was actually feeling sleepy so enquired at one of the hotels to see if I can get a room for about 500 bucks to take a quick nap before the safari.  However, the plan had to be shelved as the room cost quoted was 1200 bucks + taxes.  I said “No Thanks” and simply walked out.

I headed straight to the safari ticket counter and met one person from one of the shops who accommodated me at the shop where I could chill off.  I was checking with my contacts over the phone for a slot in the jeep safari.  This shop guy overheard my conversation and offer help in getting a slot at almost the same cost as the bus safari cost.  With a  good 2 and a half hours left before the safari, I had lunch that was packed and chilled off for some time.  After about an hour and a half, I simply wandered around the place waiting for the clock to tick over to 4 pm.







Finally the jeep came at 4:15 pm for the 2 hour safari.  The safari was eventless with me being click happy with whatever animal that I could sight.

Now enough of me talking let the photographs narrate more.















Returned back from the safari at 6:30 pm.  It was time to pack things and head home.  Managed to leave at 7:45 pm and reached home at 10:50 pm.  A nonstop ride for 240 odd kms from the forest office in Bandipur to my house.  This includes city limit speeds at all the towns and speed limit inside the forest reserve.

Trip Stats

Odo at the beginning = 46211
Odo at the end – 46709
Total distance travelled – 498 kms
Fuel consumed – Full tank yet to come to reserve. Approx cost as per the past mileage record – Rs. 780/- (11 litres of fuel consumed)

6 comments:

Vaibhav Arora said...

You riding at those speeds.. Unbelievable ! remem the day when we rode to coorg and back in a day! ;) ur greying man! hehe.. kiddin.. lets ride sometime.. do call.. i might join in for such impromptu ride and i don't mind riding at 70 kph for your company! :)

Prashant GY said...

Its nice to see people accepting the changes in Gopalswamy betta...it was a very good initiative by Praveen Ram (conservationist), DFO Hanumantappa (Bandipur NP) and Nagarajegowda then RFO of this range and staff of the range. Though initially we literally used to fight with tourists to stop the menace and get back firing...it started working when an official rule was written and signed by PCCF Mr. Singh.

anushka said...

nice.. we visited there two months back..

Mamatha Yogeeswara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krishna Prasad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Travelling to Bandipur is such a treat for wildlife admirers. Hotels in Bandipur also helps in making your trip more comfortable and memorable.